Adelaide put some demons to rest on Saturday night as it beat Queensland Roar 1-0. Disappointing for Queensland fans, and a surprising finish for many who wrote off Adelaide after the hiding in Melbourne and Aurelio Vidmar’s rant. Adelaide now get a chance for redemption.
I thought I’d take the occasion to compile a bunch of interesting/meaningless statistics.
- Only one team has ever reached the Grand Final after finishing outside the top 2. That was Central Coast Mariners in season one of the A-League.
- No team finishing outside the top 2 has ever won the Grand Final.
- Adelaide United has qualified for the Asian Champions League three times in four years.
- Two out of three times, the team with the home ground advantage in the Grand Final has won. The one time this wasn’t the case was last year, when the Mariners “hosted” Newcastle in Sydney.
- No team has ever won the Pre-season Cup, topped the ladder and won the Grand Final in the same season.
- Melbourne Victory is the only team to ever win the Pre-season Cup and then top the ladder.
- Only one current Melbourne Victory player has scored in a Grand Final (Archie Thompson x 5)
- Only one current Adelaide United player has scored in a Grand Final (Kristian Sarkies x 1, when he played for Melbourne against Adelaide)
- Since the start of season 4, Adelaide and Melbourne have played each other 5 times. The score is 11-2 in Melbourne’s favour.
- Of the eight goals ever scored in a Grand Final, Melbourne scored six. Archie Thompson scored five.